Introduction to Finding the Best Meditation Chair
All you need for meditation is your body, your mind, and a peaceful place to start off with. This means that virtually anyone can practise meditation – but often discomfort and physical restrictions prevent people being able to participate. Fortunately, meditation chairs offer both comfort and support to make meditation easier on the mind and body. They are a practical and safe alternative to using the hard floor.
Everyone’s body is different, so the chair that’s right for you might not be the same as a chair that’s right for someone else. Physical comfort is the most important factor, meaning that you should take into account which parts of your body need the most support. There are also practical considerations: think about your available space, storage options, design preferences, as well whether you need the chair to be portable or not.
Why Should I Buy a Meditation Chair?
- Posture: Using a meditation chair will help you maintain good posture and lessen strain on your spine.
- Comfort: Meditation chairs provide your body with cushioning against the hard floor, making it comfortable to sit for long periods of time.
- Make a dedicated space: Having a meditation chair can help you feel that you have a specific place to go and find tranquillity.
- Accessibility: If you’re older, have an injury, or have limited flexibility, meditation chairs offer a safe and comfortable way to practise meditation.
- Multi-Purpose: Many meditation chairs are suitable for other daily activities, such as reading or even working on your computer.
What Should I Be Looking For in a Meditation Chair?
There are a number of factors that you should consider when you’re shopping for a meditation chair. There is not a single meditation chair that is perfect for everyone – it really depends on what you are looking for. A few things you should consider are:
- Space: You should start by thinking practically: how much room do you have in your house to store a meditation chair? Do you want it to be a permanent fixture, or something that you can easily move from room to room? You’ll find a number of meditation chairs that are compact and moveable.
- Portability: Many people want to take their meditation chairs to retreats and events, so if you’re one of them, consider opting for a meditation chair that folds away for easy transportation. You’ll also want it to be light and fairly compact to make moving it easier. Some chairs even come with their own travel bag for convenience.
- Support: How much physical support do you need from your mediation chair? If you suffer with back pain when meditating, look for a chair that has extra back support. There are chairs that are ergonomically shaped to support your knees if that’s what you struggle with when meditating. If you’re looking for a chair that reduces discomfort, it’s best to avoid ones that are backless.
- Budget: Mediation chairs are available at a number of price points, so think about how much you want to spend before you start looking.
- Your Height: Some meditation chairs aren’t suitable for taller people, so make sure that you check the product specifications before your buy. The listing will usually tell you if there’s a limit on height suitability.
Where Can I Buy the Best Meditation Chair?
You won’t find meditation chairs in many high street stores. If you do go to a specialist store, they may only offer a limited range of styles, sizes and colours – which might not suit your needs. Store-bough products also tend to be more expensive than what’s available on the web. That’s why shopping online is the most convenient and practical way to purchase the best meditation chair for you. You can easily compare products, read reviews, and find the best meditation chair for you.
Websites such as Amazon have a huge range of meditation chairs and benches, and also provide specifications and details for each product. An added bonus is that you can simply send your order back if you don’t like it. You can use the product reviews to find out what other’s thought of their meditation chair before you go ahead with your purchase.
8 Best Meditation Chairs
Here we take a look at some of the best meditation chairs on the market. The products reviewed here offer different levels of support for different areas of the body. All of the products are high quality, offering a comfortable and practical alternative to sitting on the floor to meditate.
The bonVIVO Easy II Padded Floor Chair is an adjustable and multi-purpose floor chair that can be used both at home and events. It offers a practical alternative to sitting or lying on the floor, providing you with additional back support and comfort. It has a simple but practical design, and can be folded up for easy transportation.
- Adjustable backrest from 90 to 180 degrees
- Available in two different color combinations
- Made with a mix of padding, PU and PE foam for maximum comfort
- Adjustable backrest maximizes comfort and helps to prevent spine curvature and bad posture
- Only weighs 2.3 kg so is easily portable and practical
- Easy to store, assemble and dismantle
- High back makes it suitable for taller people
- Synthetic materials
Verdict: This chair has a simple but effective design, and an added bonus is that you get to choose from two color options. It’ reasonably priced, and would be a great choice if you’re looking to take your chair to event and retreats, as well as use it at home. The adjustable backrest is a real selling point, offering comfort and flexibility for different positions.
Want to buy a simple but elegant meditation chair? Go for the bonVIVO Easy II Padded Floor Chair: Check out on Amazon
The Gaiam Rattan Meditation Chair offers excellent leg and knee support in a high-quality and aesthetically pleasing design. It has a high back for back support, and it specifically designed for you to sit cross legged. The frame is made from rattan, and the natural, thick cushion is filled with sustainable kapok.
- Tall back offering ergonomic support
- Specifically designed for you to sit cross-legged
- Removable and washable covers
- Stylish design
- Focus on comfort for both knees and back
- High quality materials and padding
- Backrest has a fixed position
- Not foldable
Verdict: This meditation chair would add a touch of elegance to any home. It has a beautiful design, offering both style and a practical seat for meditation. We love the use of natural and sustainable materials. The only downside is that not best-suited to transporting, as it doesn’t fold. It comes in at the higher end of the price scale, but we think it’s worth the money if your’e looking for a permanent chair for your home or studio.
The Gaiam Rattan Meditaion Chair is one of the best meditation chairs for sitting cross-legged. But it today: Check out on Amazon
The NNEWVANTE Floor Chair is an adjustable meditation chair, in a small and portable design. You can take it with you to retreats, events, or even your office. This chair offers back support at a range of angles, and has layers of foam padding for comfort.
- Adjustable backrest from 90 to 180 degrees
- Removable and washable covers
- 3 inner layers of sponge for maximum comfort
- Adjustable backrest for comfort and tailored support
- Compact and portable design
- Wear resistant bottom layer for durability and use in a range of environments
- Only available in one colour
- Plain design
Verdict: The design of this chair is simple, but it may not be to everyone’s taste and it only comes in one colour. We think that this chair is reasonably priced, and offers excellent back support. It would suit anyone who is looking for a simple chair that they can easily take with them wherever they go.
Buy the NNEWVANTE Floor Chair – a comfortable and reasonably priced floor chair for meditation – today: Check out on Amazon
The Seat Of Your Soul 2019 Meditation Cushion is a simple but effective meditation cushion to support you when sitting on the floor. It’s suitable for all shapes and sizes, and offers excellent cushioning to the spine. You can adjust the levels of support by reducing or adding to the filing.
- Provides support for your spine no matter your weight or height
- Made with organic cotton and buckwheat filling
- You can adjust the cushion to suit you by adding or removing buckwheat hulls
- Small and portable
- Available in a wide range of colours
- Available in different sizes
- No upper back support
- High price for product
Verdict: The Seat Of Your Soul Meditation Cushion is a well-designed and comfortable seat for mediation. We love the fact that you can pick the size, change the filling to get the right level of firmness, as well as the choice of colors. The product is a little pricey for a small cushion, but it’s portable and offers high levels of support. It’s not suitable for someone who needs something to lean their back on. If you want a meditation seat, but something that won’t take up much room in your home, this could be the one for you.
The Seat Of Your Soul 2019 Meditation Cushion is one of the most convenient mediation chairs on the market: Check on Amazon
The Friends of Meditation Extra Large Meditation and Yoga Chair is designed by registered yoga teacher Swami Dhyan, so you know that you’re getting a product that’s been designed by someone in the know. people with back pain. It is aimed at helping users avoid numbness in the legs when sitting cross-legged, as well as preventing back pain.
- Offers strong back support
- Designed by a Registered Yoga Teacher
- Foldable for portability and convenience
- Large size offers maximum support for both back and knees
- Additional padding to make mediation easier for beginners
- Available in a number of colors
- Not suitable for people over 6″2
- Takes up a lot of space for a portable chair
Verdict: This chair is pricey when compared to the other portable chairs on this list – but we think that the extra layers of support and padding make it worth it. It would suit a beginner who isn’t used to sitting for a long time, or someone heading to a retreat with lots of mediation sessions ahead. The color range is a real bonus, as is the foldability for transportation.
The Friends of Meditation Extra Large Meditation and Yoga Chair is comfortable and practical – but it now: Click to Amazon here.
The WAYTRIM Indoor Adjustable Floor Chair is a practical and comfortable floor chair for meditation.You can lock the backrest in 5 different positions, offering support for both upper and lower back. It’s easy to clean and practical to have around the home: you can pack it away in seconds.
- Adjustable backrest that can be locked in 5 positions
- Excellent resilience offering safety and comfort
- Removable and washable covers
- Foldable for portability
- Perfect for small spaces
- Durable materials and available in a choice of 3 colors
- Indoor use only
Verdict: This WAYTRIM chair has a choice of colors, an adjustable back support, and high-quality fabric. The design is simple but attractive, and it is made with good quality fabrics. This chair is portable, so would suit someone what wants to take their chair to classes or retreats. Because its small and foldable, you don’t have to have it out in your home all of the time. We think that you get a good chair for your money, and this would definitely suit someone with limited space.
The WAYTRIM Indoor Adjustable Floor Chair is an affordable and practical meditation chair. Buy yours today: Click to Amazon here.
The Friends of Meditation Back Jack Meditation and Yoga Chair is also designed by yoga teacher Dhyan Unmesh, and is currently used in professional retreats. It is a portable and lightweight meditation chair, offering both comfort and practicality. It comes with it own travel bag, and you can choose from two colors.
- Offers strong back support
- Helps people with limited flexibility or back problems
- Feather foam with a 7-year guarantee
- Easy to transport and comes with a bag for travel
- High back for extra support and comfort
- Portable and comes with travel bag
- No frills design
Verdict: This chair is great to have both at home and to take to retreats, because it’s lightweight and comes with a travel bag. It’s perfect for people who are new to meditation and not used to sitting for prolonged periods of time. It’s also available in packs of 4 or 8, so would suit a teacher or someone running a meditation session. Friends of Meditation pride themselves on the levels of support that their products offer, so we recommend this for anyone whose first priority is comfort and accessibility. It’s not the most fancy design, so this many not be the product for you if you want something that offers style as well as comfort.
Want the Friends of Meditation Back Jack Meditation and Yoga Chair? Shop today on Amazon: Check out on Amazon
The Meditation Bench by Meditation Designs is a stylish, high-quality bench that would look beautiful in any home or meditation space. The rounded pedestal legs are made from acacia wood, and are securely fastened without the need for unattractive bolts or screws. Each bench is handmade and and upholstered by professionals.
- A handmade produced crafted from sustainable and beautiful acacia wood
- Durable and stable
- Comfortable cushioned seat for meditation
- Looks like real furniture – stylish design
- Comfortable padded seat for prolonged sitting
- High quality product
- Only suitable for people under 5′ 11″ in height
- Not foldable so limited portability, and heavy to move
- Does not offer back support for meditation
Verdict: This meditation bench is perfect if you’re looking for a high-end or designer-looking product that will fit in seamlessly with the rest of your furniture. We love the acacia wood legs and the comfortable upholstered seat. If you’re not a fan of sitting on the floor for meditation, this bench could be the one for you. Unfortunately, it doesn’t offer the same back support that you get with floor chairs, and it’s not really suitable for taller people. The main selling point of this product is the design, but you’ll have to compromise on additional support if you choose this product. It is perhaps better suited to experienced meditators than first timers, who often need something more supportive.
Want a stylish, high-quality meditation bench? Buy the Meditation Designs Meditation Bench now: Click to Amazon here.
Which Meditation Chair Should I Buy?
All of the products listed here are high-quality, supportive meditation chairs. We feel that they represent some of the best meditation chairs on the market, but like all things, each has its own drawbacks and benefits. Therefore, the meditation chair that you choose really depends on what you’re looking for. Here are a few things to consider if you’re struggling to make a decision:
- If you’re concerned about price, WAYTRIM Indoor Adjustable Floor Chair provides you with a quality chair at an affordable price.
- If you struggle with limited flexibility of back pain, we recommend the Friends of Meditation Extra Large Meditation and Yoga Chair. It really focuses on comfort and support, and is aimed at newcomers as well as those with pain problems.
- If you can’t compromise on space, the Seat Of Your Soul 2019 Meditation Cushion is a practical solution. You get comfort and support without the need for space to place a big chair.
- If you love meditation but don’t want to compromise on style, go for the Meditation Designs Meditation Bench. It’s classy and high-quality, and still offers a comfortable place to meditate.
Our personal favourite is the Friends of Meditation Extra Large Meditation and Yoga Chair, simply because it provides the most support and protection. However, all of the products listed here are perfect for meditating and show real value for money. Whichever chair you choose, make sure it suits your needs and offers the best support for you.